top of page

Village Frequently Asked Questions

Village Life

What is the age requirement for entry?

The minimum age requirement is 65, although younger residents may be considered if they are the partner of an older resident, or if they have specific health needs.

How does shopping and transport from the village work?

The village van makes regular trips to Westfield Manukau, with drop-off and pick-up outside the supermarket. The van is also used for other outings and activities.

If I have a concern or complaint, who do I talk to?

Take any issues to the Village Manager first. Bethesda aims to provide services to a high standard, which means we take complaints and concerns from our residents seriously. Complaints will be investigated and resolved as quickly as possible. Our Complaints policy is available on request.  

Your Home

Can my family and friends stay overnight?

Yes. This is your home, so you can have visitors. Friends and family are welcome to stay for short periods, provided you check with the Village Manager first.

What happens when I go on holiday?

Let the Village Manager know that you’re leaving, and we can check your unit and water plants as needed while you’re away.

Can I rent my villa or apartment?

No. Our villas and studios are for the use of the owner of the license, so you can’t sub-let them to other people.  

Can I change the décor in my villa or apartment? 

If you want to make changes to flooring, wall coverings, or other home décor this is possible at your expense with the approval of the Village Manager.

Safety, security, and extra services  

Is the village safe and secure?

The Village gates are closed between 7.30pm and 7am daily with access controlled during this time by remote, keypad or swipe-card.  Village residents live independently so need to keep their unit secure at all times. Bethesda Village has CCTV operating as well.

If I need care, what assistance can I access?

Bethesda Care is on the same property as the village. That means if your personal needs change, we offer a continuum of care and you won’t need to leave your community. You’ll also have priority admission if ever you or your partner need to stay at the Care Centre for respite or full time care.

Home support is available through your GP should  you need it.

Will my independence and privacy be respected?

We respect your right to independence and privacy, which is why our additional services and activities are optional.

You are welcome to participate in activities and make use of services as you choose to.

Will I be treated with courtesy and respect?

Of course. Bethesda values the dignity and independence of all our residents and treats them with respect and compassion at all times. The village is a caring, friendly community, which means you will be expected to treat your neighbours and staff members with respect as well.  

Legal details

What is the role of the Statutory Supervisor?

The Statutory Supervisor represents the interests of village residents. Village Operators are monitored by their Statutory Supervisor, who is appointed under the terms of a Deed of Supervision.

The Statutory Supervisor monitors and controls deposits, progress payments, and settlement funds paid by and refunded to residents. The Statutory Supervisor is also responsible for monitoring the financial health of the village to ensure it meets its obligations to residents and residents interests are protected and financially secure.

What is the ‘cooling-off’ period?

The ‘cooling-off’ period is a legal requirement designed to give prospective residents a chance to think their decision over.

Under the Retirement Village Act (2003) there is a mandatory 15-day cooling-off period in which prospective residents who have signed an Occupational Rights Agreement (ORA) can cancel without financial repercussions.


The cooling-off period begins on the day the ORA is signed. If intending residents choose to cancel within the period, they are entitled to reclaim their deposit, plus any interest earned on it, less resident withholding tax.

Can my family trust purchase an Occupational Right Agreement?

An ORA can only be issued in the name/s of the resident/s occupying the home. The funds used to enter into an ORA may be paid by a family trust, but the ORA must be signed by the prospective residents.

If funds do come from a trust, a separate Deed document will be needed to legally identify where the funds came from, and where they will be distributed when the ORA is completed.

Can I bequeath my ORA to a family member?

No, occupational rights are not transferable.

bottom of page